navigation bar

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Cabbage Soup - simply put

I love cabbage - but I had yet to find a soup recipe that really appealed to my taste buds.  We had just received a head of cabbage in our greenBEAN delivery and I was itching to try another soup recipe and coincidentally *ring *ring calls my Oma from Chicago.  She just called to chat and catch up and said she just happened to be thinking of me when she ran across this cabbage soup recipe online earlier in the week.



So as fate would have it - I would get to try out another cabbage soup recipe, and this one - not only brought warmth to my tastebuds but is worthy of posting.  Thanks Oma!

Ingredients:


1/4 cup butter

1 yellow onion, chopped

3 yellow skin potatoes, chopped (or about 1/4 lb fingerlings - that's what I had...)

3 stalks celery, chopped

3 cloves garlic, minced

4 cups vegetable broth

1/2 head cabbage, finely chopped (into ribbons)

1 (28oz) can chopped tomatoes, undrained

1/2 cup ketchup (this does make quite a difference in taste.  I used Local Folks Foods ketchup and the flavor was great!)

1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning (or to taste)

Melt butter in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat (my dutch oven is my go-to for large amounts of soup, I feel like it simmers more evenly).  Once melted, stir onion, potatoes, garlic and celery until soft and onion is translucent (6-8 minutes).  Pour the vegetable broth over the mixture and bring to a simmer, cooking until the potatoes are just tender - about 5 more minutes.  Add cabbage and stir to incorporate.  Stir in tomatoes, ketchup and Italian seasoning.  Simmer for an additional 15 minutes.  Salt/pepper to taste and Enjoy!  This is great with a multi-grain bread, biscuit or in my case Back to Nature Crispy Wheat crackers!

1 comment:

Julie VandeDrink said...

I can't wait to try out this recipe! Thanks for putting it out here. I LOVE cabbage recipes. ♥ Mom

Post a Comment

❊ thanks for commenting! this blog is open to anyone and everyone - so feel free to leave me a message about, well - anything! i am interested in what you have to say. for those without google accounts or unregistered users, just choose to leave me a comment 'anonymously' and sign it at the end (i.e. ♥ Oma) within the comment. Look forward to hearing from you all!

♥chels